Sweet Potato & Chickpea Curry
Warming spices make this vegetarian curry a delight to cook and eat on a brisk autumn day. While tantalising your taste buds, turmeric, ginger and chilli reduce inflammation, supporting immune health.
- 1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 tsp fresh grated or 1 tsp dried turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ - 1 birds eye chilli, finely chopped (optional/adjust to taste)
- 800 gm cooked chickpeas
- 500 gm golden sweet potato, cubed
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (omit if vegan)
- Pinch of salt
- 2 stalks of fresh coriander leaves
- 1-2 limes
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- Sautee onion in coconut oil for 4 minutes.
- Add turmeric, garlic, ginger and spices and cook for 1 minute before adding
sweet potato and chickpeas. Toss in spice mix until well coated and
cook 3 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, sugar, fish sauce and salt and simmer gently for 20 minutes or
until sweet potato is cooked.
- Serve with cooked jasmine rice, garnished with coriander leaves and a
wedge of lime.
 Vázquez-Fresno R, et al. Herbs and spices- biomarkers of intake based on human intervention studies - a systematic review. Genes Nutr. 2019 May 22;14:18.