Celebrating summer can feel indulgent when you use fresh, flavourful ingredients. Rich in protective antioxidants, this salad adds vibrant colour to your festive feast and makes a delicious and healthy accompaniment to meat and vegetable dishes.
- 5-6 cups mixed leafy salad greens – e.g. baby spinach, cos lettuce, mizuna, - -
oakleaf lettuce, rocket
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into small semicircle slices
- 1 red apple, quartered and finely sliced
- Lemon juice
- 1 cup of pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup of pecan nuts, halved
- 1 large beetroot (fresh or pre-cooked)
- 2 small purple carrots, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses (optional)
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
1. Prepare salad ingredients. Toss apple slices in lemon juice to prevent browning. If using fresh beetroot, boil for 15 minutes until cooked. Run under cold water and peel off skins. Slice cooked beetroot thinly and cut into festive shapes using a star-shaped cookie cutter or knife.
2. Salad may be arranged in a wreath shape with a bowl of vinaigrette in the centre, or served in a salad bowl with dressing on the side.
3. To make vinaigrette, add olive oil, vinegar, honey, mustard, pomegranate molasses, salt and pepper to a jar, close lid and shake well. Pour salad dressing into a small jug or bowl.
4. To assemble salad, lay out a base of leafy greens on a serving platter. Alternate the placement of orange, apple and beetroot slices. Sprinkle on carrot, pomegranate seeds, and walnuts. Serve with vinaigrette and enjoy.